Thursday, April 9, 2009

Crazy? Please reconsider.

I watched this video and was constantly reminded of a mentally sick elderly at Rumah Seri Kenangan, Seremban. I went there during my diploma program to do some social work.

The old folks were placed in three different area. A ward (for the sick), a normal house/hostel (for the healthy) and some sort of asylum (for the mentally sick elderly).

I paid a visit to the healthy folks regularly and organized various programs with them. but what touched my heart the most was when i visited the sick elders. To be honest, we weren't given too much chances to visit them but i suppose one or two visit taught me much valuable lesson, still.
Be it physically or mentally, it was a pain in the eye to see these respectable figures located in the social service care instead of their own child's.

On one fine day, my friends and I visited the mentally sick elderly. We were not allowed to enter their ward but just have a look from the outside and talk to them by the window. It was for the safety purposes also that there were just beds or they were just mattress without the bed. Some of these elderly were known to have the self-destructive behavior that have to be free of potentially harmful furniture.

Given in that poor condition, i saw an Indian nanny who were dancing happily at that time. She spotted us and went by the window to say hi. We hesitated to shake hands with her (too afraid to be forced into the house or harmed) but i did it anyway. Her hand was warm and she looked pretty happy to have us as visitors (about 4 people at that time). Then, she insisted to read my palm. I startled. Islam forbid us to seek people for fate reading at all times. Nonetheless, i reckon that was the only way that could make her happy. So i gave in. (plus, i don't have to believe her.She's a mental, right?)

She told me this :

"Awak.. jangan minum air sejuk. Tak elok utk awak punya badan." (Don't drink cold waters. It's not good for your body) ..

She read again and looked up to me:

Awak.. tak payah fikir pasal laki. Belaja tinggi tinggi dulu..baru fikir. Sekarang jangan. (Don't think about men. Study as high as possibble and think about it later. Not now.)

I was quite surprised when she told me not to drink cold waters. I'm asthmatic and was constantly reminded by my parents not to drink cold waters a lot. But I dare not to believe her. Another friend of mine had her palm read. The result was the same. Fuhh.. then she really couldn't be trusted (why should I anyway? ).

I went home and told my mum. She wasn't mad that I did the palm reading or anything. But she mentioned only one thing:

"Manala tau die ada kepakaran. Org gila pun ada betulnye kadang-kadang .." Who knows if she really understand what she's talking about. Even crazy people is correct sometimes.

Well.. crazy people are not crazy at all times, at least.. But still, it was a palm reading. I shouldn't hold on to it (There was nothing much to hold on to anyway). I did it just for fun and I took what she said as an advice. That's that.

What my mum wanted to tell was not to believe in palm reading or to believe every single person i encounter. She simply asked me to not understimate them. Even if we can't trust people wholefully, do not neglect every single word they say. Judge the word, nor the person.

Although words are bending
But eyes are much deceptive in lots of ways..






8 comments:

ADLINA said...

such a great experience you had there! ^^

Shariful Fadzli said...

Salam, mimi, when i go tru this post, I think I want to go back to that place again. Doing some activity together, celebrating Hari Raya and etc.....

mimiqt said...

ED: yes indeed. ^^

Sho: Jom weh.. kalau kita balik mesia. hmm... kalo ujung taun ade raye aji je pon. hmm..

Clausewitz said...

Oi, sou o Clausewitz. Quer conhecer alguma coisa sobre o Brasil, passe lá no meu Blog. Abração

Hope said...

Hai

Yes, it is sad to think that many older people are left by themselves maybe they didn't have any children. With open heart we can be ready to challenge our old ideas and find a truth. It's shows it's good not to stick labels onto people. I really like your thoughtful post :-).

misterTAJ? said...

MIMI!!!!!!!

hafiz CHouJi said...

Meaningful experience indeed.

I agree that we should not underestimate others.

We are often quick at labelling other people as "crazy", "nerd" or "weird" whatsoever when they are a bit unique compare to "normal" people.

As for the Indian lady, who knows if she actually attained some kinda knowledge that can read physical cues. For example, I had a friend who knows and can tell which part of your body is ill simply by pressing your feet.

Well, God created humans as unique and in possession of different individuality. Instead of labelling, why don't we try to see the beauty of uniqueness and appreciate it? *wink*

mimiqt said...

Thanks guys. your comments are all very much appreciated.*wink back*